Pages

Please subscribe by clicking on the button below :)

Friday, March 31, 2017

Shocking Surprise

This week I ran all of the experiments. I inoculated four TSB tubes on Wednesday the 22nd to work with the cultures the day after on Thursday. When I came in on Thursday I immediately noticed a difference among the cell broths (pictured bellow), which was a surprise because all four tubes were treated exactly the same way. The first tube was occupied by an cloudy solution. The second tube had some matter at the bottom but the solution itself was not cloudy. The third and fourth tube had no trace of cell growth and the solution looked completely unchanged. I became nervous because my plan was to conduct the DNA extraction protocols using four different broths and now it seemed like at least two cultures where not going to work for me at all.

However, I began to think critically, if the TSB tubes where treated the same way there should be no reason why they shouldn’t all have bacteria. Even though two tubes looked unchanged I was curious enough to still use them to try and extract the DNA instead of discarding them, and I’m glad I did.

To determine if the two cultures in question had bacteria I used the boiling protocol DNA extraction method on all samples and analyzed the product of the protocol. The results shocked me. I was expecting the two tubes that seemed unchanged to have no nuclei acid concertation but it turned out that both tubes in comparison had greater concentrations of nuclei acid and one even doubled the amount of DNA material found in the two tubes that appeared to be saturated with bacteria.


Those results gave me the greenlight to use all tubes for all protocols that evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment